Friday, April 15, 2005

The Unthinkable

I have been told many times "A GOOD WRITER WRITES EVERY DAY". I don't have a very good track record on this thing, so here I go.

I've been thinking about what I want to write about and sometimes I think I worry too much about pleasing my audience. And that in itself is wishful thinking because I don't even have an audience (that I know of) aside from a few friends and relatives. Then I remember what I have heard other successful creatives say. A Canadian hip hop artist who has been enjoying some major success on the home front and will soon take the world by storm, K-OS, had some words of wisdom in a recent interview. He said he only had true success when he let all his inhibitions go and just let his creativity flow. He stopped worrying whether or not the people would dig him, and he didn't hold back. The result was one of the best albums of 2004, in any genre of music. It is an innovative and original piece of artwork and that is truly what people respond to. With all the repetition of pop culture, people crave the new and exciting, and that is what K-OS had to offer. He didn't hit us with a cookie cutter, formulaic, top 40 sure thing, but an artistic expression that gained top 40 status in the most deserving way imaginable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home